Black Bean and Corn Quinoa Salad
So while I was bored at work one day at the end of summer I of course ended up browsing for recipes and this is what caught my eye!
I have been intrigued by quinoa for a while, but have not had a chance to actually cook with it. So on one of my last summer days I went for it! It was completely delicious. My whole family loved it and we had plenty of leftovers for the next couple of days.
Here we go…
List of Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups chicken broth (vegetable is fine too)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup frozen sweet corn
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1. Chop up your onion and garlic.
2. Heat your olive oil over medium heat. When it gets hot enough, throw in your onion for 5-6 minutes, until it is translucent, then add in the garlic and saute for a minute or two.
3. Then add in your quinoa and cover it with the broth.
4. Stir in your cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, then bring the mixture to a boil.
5. Then cover the pot and reduce the heat. Let it simmer for 20 minutes (or until all the liquid is absorbed).
6. Stir in your frozen corn and black beans. Then cover the pot again and bring it off the heat. Leave the pot covered until your corn and beans are heated through (about 5-6 minutes).
7. Then stir in your cilantro. You can eat this salad warm or cold, both ways were delicious!
This recipe was so good and made a lot, so I had a nice, quick lunch for the next couple of days. I am now inspired to try cooking more with quinoa. It doesn’t have to be bland, hooray! More to come on my quinoa kick…but for now, enjoy!