Artichoke and Mozzarella Lasagna with Tomato Cream Sauce
So my “semester” schedule abroad has now changed. We have entered the internship phase of the program. This means that I now work 9-5 Tues-Fri, so the only day I really have to do anything is on Mondays after class. My internship is about an hour away via bus, so usually by the time I get home I am too tired to cook anything fancy…but last Monday some friends and I decided to take advantage of our 1 free evening. I was perusing all of my favorite cooking blogs when this ravioli recipe leapt out at me from Smitten Kitchen. Not wanting to make pasta dough in our so-called kitchen, we opted to re-create this dish as a lasagna! We bought the prepackaged lasagna in the store and off we went. It was absolutely delicious & my friends have already requested that we make this again some time next week! These pictures do not even do it justice…but here is our creation…Artichoke and Mozzarella Lasagna with a Tomato Cream Sauce:
Now we move on to the sauce…chop up your tomatoes and cook them in a little bit of butter, then add some water and cook until they are soft, then throw in your remaining artichoke mixture (the 1/4 you saved).
After you complete your last layer, add some cheese on top for a finishing touch (we used parmesan we already had). Then put it into the oven until it is slightly browned (about 15 minutes). Then you are ready to serve this quick and easy meal!
Everyone loved this dish. I would definitely recommend it for a quick dinner with friends 🙂
Ingredients for filling:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 (10-oz) jar of artichoke hearts, drained
1 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup)
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 clove of garlic
Ingredients for sauce:
3 tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup heavy cream
Recipe (Adapted from Smitten Kitchen):
1. Heat butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then saute onionuntil golden
2. Add artichoke hearts and garlic and saute them.
3. Set aside 1/4 of the mixture. Then add cheese, parsley, yolk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the remaining 3/4 of the mixture and mix it well.
4. Cook your pasta and set aside in cold water.
5. Dice your tomatoes and cook them in butter, then add water and cook until tomatoes are tender.
6. Add cream and the remaining 1/4 mixture to the tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Start to layer your lasagna. Add some extra cheese on the top.
8. Pop the dish into the oven at a low heat for about 15 minutes, or until slightly browned and the cheese is bubbling.
Just a quick little dish from down unda! Hope you enjoy!